ABOUT THE ROLE
As a senior electrical engineer, you will be responsible for planning and leading the design, architecture, implementation and testing of electronic systems onboard MightyFly’s hybrid-electric eVTOL aircraft.
This role requires a strong fundamental understanding of eVTOL hybrid power systems, battery control and management, and safety critical design. Our ideal candidate must be self-motivated, passionate about hybrid aircraft development, and has strong electrical engineering fundamentals.
The candidate must have a strong interest in working in a small, fast paced team where a variety of skills will need to be applied day to day, and in which new skills will constantly need to be learned.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Be responsible for design, development and integration of the electrical systems and power electronics for the aircraft’s eVTOL and hybrid-electric powertrain systems.
- Contribute to high-level planning and architecture discussions in collaboration with other team members.
- Design and implementation of experiments to test and validate performance and functionality.
- Generate schematics and documentation of systems, components, and interfaces.
- Wire harness design, fabrication, and test.
- Participate in flight tests to validate system functionality.
- 5+ years electrical and power electronics engineering experience
- Custom PCB design experience from schematic entry and board layout through fabrication, assembly, and test
- Design experience with motors, motor controllers, power supplies, inverters / converters, and/or power electronics
- Design and fabrication experience of harnesses
- Familiarity with communication protocols like CAN, I2C, etc
- Familiarity with FMEA
- A passion for building systems from the ground up
- A can-do attitude for tackling and solving complex problems
- Be a self-starter with the ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
Planning & Partnering
- Ability to plan and deliver on time
- Ability to translate product requirements into technical implementation plans
- Organizational skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Familiarity and experience with high performance vehicles (electric vehicles (EV), hybrid electric, race vehicles, Solar Car, Formula SAE, etc) including the design process and components
- Experience with various battery chemistries and battery management systems
- Familiarity with aviation certification standards & processes
- Experience with large UAVs or VTOL aircraft
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
MightyFly is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MightyFly values diversity and welcomes applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry. We are an international team led by a female CEO.
- Bay Area.
- We are aviation and aerospace enthusiasts who believe the sky is not the limit.
- Teamwork: We believe that to achieve great results we need great teamwork.
- Working hard: Building reliable aviation and logistics products is really hard but also exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
- Having fun: We believe that hard work needs to be coupled with fun. We love hanging out beyond the workday, hosting team dinners, and organizing fun activities. We love the outdoors and outdoor sports. And of course, we love flying.
- Celebrating wins large and small.
- Creativity: We love and encourage creativity. The best ideas emerge when our working environment fosters out-of-the-box thinking.
- Equity, inclusivity, and respect for the diversity of life and work experiences that each individual brings to the team.
- Transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Commuter benefits.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Stock option plan.
- Working on cutting-edge products to transform our future.
- Working with a diverse and highly skilled team.
- Shaping and defining company culture and values.