ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Flight Operations Engineer, you will have the critical task of testing the new and existing systems we build and operate in order to ensure that we are developing safe and reliable systems. This position is well suited for someone who excels at wearing many hats and is comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic flight test environment. The ideal candidate should feel confident working as a hybrid Flight Test Engineer and Operations Support Specialist.
Responsibilities may include pre-flighting aircraft, doing repair and maintenance work on aircraft and ground systems, and performing tests on new hardware and software. You will be working to improve the process, building, and testing of prototypes for our next-generation tech, and collecting data of various types. You will also be expected to provide detailed technical feedback and ideas to engineering and operations teams on how to make our existing and future systems safer and smarter. Your work will directly improve MightyFly aircraft and support systems.
Flight Operations Support
As a member of the Flight Operations Team, you will work directly with the Senior Test Pilot to ensure that all aspects of a flight test program are executed safely, efficiently, and effectively. This includes designing test plans and procedures, analyzing data collected during flight tests, and providing recommendations for improvements to aircraft and systems.
- Acting as Ground Crew for all Flight Test operations and testing
- Assembling, pre-flighting, transporting and securing aircraft and GCS in order to test and optimize MightyFly’s operational systems and validate new engineering changes as well as software and hardware in the early stages of development.
- Maintaining the existing fleet of aircraft and ground equipment, as well as maintaining new systems as they are developed.
- Running tests to validate system improvements, new technology for performance and design validation, and new processes.
- Certification tests and demonstrations related to FAA regulatory approvals and certifications.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to improve our processes, safety protocols, hardware, and software, and make operations easier and more efficient. You will be called upon to provide detailed feedback to design engineers.
Flight Test Engineer
Acting as a Flight Test Engineer, you will work with the Senior Test Pilot, Mechanical and Software engineers, Aerodynamicists, and GNC in planning, coordinating, and conducting flight tests of aircraft, systems, and components to evaluate their performance, reliability, and safety.
- Participating in the design and modification of aircraft and systems, including conducting feasibility studies, developing technical specifications, and providing input into design reviews.
- Monitoring flight tests in real-time, including collecting and analyzing data, identifying and resolving issues, and making real-time decisions in a fast-paced airport environment
- Collaborating with other engineers, technicians, and flight crew members to identify and resolve issues that arise during flight tests, including analyzing data from electronics and avionics as well as flight physics, performing root cause analysis, and providing recommendations for corrective action.
- Communicating test results and recommendations to the team, including preparing technical reports, presenting findings to key stakeholders, and participating in technical reviews.
This role is right for you if:
- You have a strong technical background in aerospace engineering, as well as experience in flight testing, data analysis, and safety management.
- You should possess excellent communication skills, be able to work effectively in a team environment and be able to make sound decisions under pressure.
- You enjoy work that gets you out from behind a desk, in the field and working with our hardware and software in action.
- You have experience in commercial aviation or aviation maintenance
- You have prior flight test or operational flight experience with Unmanned Aerial Systems (weighing greater than 50lbs)
- You thrive in an autonomous, unpredictable, and dynamic environment
- You have experience debugging complex electromechanical systems and software
- You have experience performing telemetry log analysis and interpretation
- You are meticulous and process-oriented by nature.
- You have a Private Pilot License or higher certification
- You have a bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or a related field
- You are able to lift up to 25kg/55lbs of objects regularly
Highly Desirable skills and experience
- Master’s degree
- You have experience with various computer operating systems and are comfortable utilizing command-line interfaces and repository file management
- You have an A&P License
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
MightyFly is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
MightyFly values diversity and welcomes applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in the tech industry. We are an international team led by a female CEO.
- Bay Area.
- We are aviation and aerospace enthusiasts who believe the sky is not the limit.
- Teamwork: We believe that to achieve great results we need great teamwork.
- Working hard: Building reliable aviation and logistics products is really hard but also exciting, challenging, and rewarding.
- Having fun: We believe that hard work needs to be coupled with fun. We love hanging out beyond the workday, hosting team dinners, and organizing fun activities. We love the outdoors and outdoor sports. And of course, we love flying.
- Celebrating wins large and small.
- Creativity: We love and encourage creativity. The best ideas emerge when our working environment fosters out-of-the-box thinking.
- Humility: Let’s leave the ego at the door so we can work together to create meaningful solutions.
- Equity, inclusivity, and respect for the diversity of life and work experiences that each individual brings to the team.
- Transparency, honesty, and integrity.
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Stock option plan.
- Working on cutting-edge products to transform our future.
- Working with a diverse and highly skilled team.
- Shaping and defining company culture and values